The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts
The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF, the Centre) is an independent intergovernmental organisation supported by 34 States.
The principal objectives of the Centre are:
- a)Development and operation of global models and data-assimilation systems for the dynamics, thermodynamics and composition of the Earth's fluid envelope and interacting parts of the Earth-system, with a view to:
- 1.preparing forecasts by means of numerical methods;
- 2.providing initial conditions for the forecasts; and
- 3.contributing to monitoring the relevant parts of the Earth-system;
- b)carrying out scientific and technical research directed towards improving the quality of these forecasts;
- c)collection and storage of appropriate data.
In addition, the Centre:
- makes available to the Member States, in the most appropriate form, the results provided for in (a) and (b) and the data referred to in (c)
- assists in implementing programmes of the World Meteorological Organization;
- provides advanced training to the scientific staff of the Member and Co-operating States in the field of numerical weather prediction;
- makes the data in its extensive archives available to outside bodies.